Charity Open Day - Sat 20th August
A chance to visit Carymoor and support our Charitable Trust. Take part in nature walks and wildlife themed family activities.
Starts: 20th Aug 2022
Join us on Saturday 20th August 2022 for our Charity Open Day from 10am to 4pm.
Places must be booked in advance using this link. You must purchase an entry ticket before you can book onto any of our walks.
Our site is not normally open to the public so this is a lovely opportunity to visit us and see what we do. We look forward to sharing our nature reserve with you on one of our site tours, explaining the history of the landfill site, the legacy of rubbish and what we have done to restore nature on this site.
Children (and adults!) can take part in fun activities organised by our Education team who deliver engaging sessions with school groups through the year using our wonderful eco buildings. Come and try pond dipping, meadow sweeping, make clay creatures, play minibeast i-spy, create your own sticky caterpillars, take a trip down duck alley, and challenge yourself with our 'Poo-dunnit' orienteering course.
Learn more about the bees and butterflies on our site with our wonderful volunteer experts, walk through our tree trail, willow plantation and explore the connecting Carymarsh reserve.
Find out more about how you could get involved with volunteering to help maintain the site for wildlife, keep yourself fit, and do wonders for your wellbeing.
Enjoy home made refreshments. *Donations towards our charitable cause welcome.
Sign up for our forthcoming craft and rural skills courses.
Places must be booked in advance here.
Walks and Tours (Must be pre-booked)
- Site tours will take place throughout the day at approx 10.30 and 1.30pm and will last between 1 and 1 1/2 hours.
- A Butterfly walk will take place with our volunteer butterfly expert Julian Rawlins at 12noon.
Please make sure you come prepared for the weather conditions on the day. Long trousers and enclosed shoes/wellies are ideal.
There will be many other things to see and do during the day including;
- Watch a scything demonstration in the meadow
- View our Observation bee hive and get up close to our bees
- Explore our Waste tunnel and see what lurks beneath the landfill
- Visit Somerset Waste Partnership's new Fixy repair van and see what items could be repaired or recycled, or donate old tech.
- Refuel with homemade cakes and biscuits in our cafe run by volunteers *donations appeciated
- Read displays about the history of Carymoor and our Eco buildings in the centre
- Visit our volunteer base in the Strawbale house, discover how it was made and chat to some of our volunteers
- Enter the Roundhouse and step back in time
If you have enjoyed your time with us and would like to further support our charitable cause we would be very grateful for anything extra you can spare. Donation pots are available in the main building or can be made by card at the information point, on online here.
*Dogs are not permitted on the site. * No smoking on site.
*This is an outdoor event, please come dressed appropriately for the weather.
- For further information about the day please see our frequently asked questions page.
- See our event leaflet for a map of the site and useful information.
We thank you for your support.