An Introduction to Scything *Fully Booked*
Enjoy the great outdoors and learn a traditional rural skill
Starts: 20th May 2022 to 27th May 2022
Friday 20th May AND Friday 27th May, 10am - 4pm
Join us for a free two day scything course for an introduction to this traditional rural skill with Neil Gemmell, our Conservation Manager.
During this course we will be covering:
• History of the scythe
• Comparison of English and continental scythes
• Description and parts of a scythe
• Principles of movement
• How to effectively hone the edge with a whetstone
• Adjustment of blade angles, according to mowing circumstances
• Different blades for different purposes
• Demonstration of peening (shaping the edge by hammering)
Throughout the training there are some important safety considerations, because of the razor sharp blades of course. Safe procedures are described for using the scythe and for handling the blades on and off the snath (scythe handle). Cut resistant gloves are provided where appropriate.
No previous experience is required and learners can work at their own pace.
Booking essential: e-mail email@example.com or phone 01963 351350 to find out more.
Participants must be aged 19 or over and be resident in the county of Somerset. (Please note this does not include residents in Bath and North East Somerset (BANES), and North Somerset). We are able to offer this day free of charge thanks to funding from SS&L.